Friday, April 2, 2010

Pack Weight

So I just collected all of the gear that I will be using on the PCT. Initially I was extremely bummed out and disappointed with the end weight. With all my gear packed, it was 13lbs 13oz. Now my pack weight for the Appalachain Trail was only 9 pounds and I was not attempting to be light weight at all, just minamalistic. Then I sat down and started thinking why is my pack so heavy. Yeah I'm carrying a sleeping bag this time, and a shelter, but everything is super light weight. I was checking out other hikers gear lists and found out that they were not listing a few items of considerable weight.

1) None of the other gear lists that I have found list the guide books that people carry. The guide book at its heaviest (before you cut out the parts that you have already completed) is 1lbs 9oz.

2) Yet again, none of the gear lists included something that is required to carry whilst on the Pacific Crest Trail. This is the all important bear canister. A grizzly bear proof can to store your food. I have one of the lightest bear canisters you can get and it weighs in at a whooping 2lbs 1oz.

That means that if I was to re-weigh my gear to the standards that most hikers follow, my pack weighs in at 10lbs 3oz.

Makes me feel a bit better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment